Some interesting quotes (he's very quotable) and take-aways:
- Get women involved! Technical teams lack diversity.
- "I'm not a real historian, but I like stories from history"
- "great editorial wall of China"
- "everything you do should be art"
- "team = product"
- Feeilings are "mad, sad, glad, afraid"
- "any process will work with presence"
- Book: Flow (P.S.)
Culture and Happiness in Virtual Teams
Some interesting observations:
- "Everything in life is opt-in" (especially in a virtual team, but in general with knowledge workers)
- Especially in virtual teams, managers are really coaches
- Use of Yammer for social networking. Use is always optional -- just for organic team building.
- Use of 15five.com for 1-on-1s.
- Book: Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
- Book: Tribal Leadership: Leveraging Natural Groups to Build a Thriving Organization
- Book: The Culture Game: Tools for the Agile Manager
Some questions from my experience:
Do daily or twice weekly (Tue/Thu) virtual standups work well when there are language barriers? Sometimes written communication is more effective.